Even though ‘Game of Thrones’ is finished, the series will be holding a panel at Hall H at San Diego Comic-Con International next month. Perhaps they’re going to announce that they are remaking Season 8 with “competent writers.” At any rate, HBO is in final talks with SDCC to set up the gathering. And Kit Harington, a.k.a. Jon Snow, is expected to appear, after spending the last month+ staying at a rehab facility. George R.R. Martin is also expected “to appear in one form or another.” That may mean he will appear via video, either live or pre-recorded. But it could also mean an in-person visit, so we’ll have to wait and see.
It isn’t known who will be present to represent ‘GoT’, but it is believed that its creators and showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will NOT be there, as they are working on their ‘Star Wars’ movies for Disney. Here’s hoping for a visit from the break-out superstars Coffee Cup and Water Bottle.
‘GoT’ has been a constant presence at SDCC since the series started, however, the show’s creators and stars did not appear last year, as they were hard at work on production of the final season. Unlike in years past, since the show is finished, there will, for the first time, be no need to defect questions, play dumb, or do anything else to maintain that air-tight seal of secrecy that normally hampers these types of panels. (But considering the negative reactions the last season incurred, maybe they should beef up security.)
The show may make additional presentations at other cons, with NYCC mentioned. Isaac Hempstead Wright, a.k.a. Bran Stark, is confirmed to appear at Comic-Con Africa in September.
As far as what else attendees to SDCC can expect:
- Warner Brothers will NOT be there, so no news about ‘The Batman’, ‘Joker’, ‘Doctor Sleep’, ‘Super Intelligence’, ‘Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)’, ‘Godzilla Vs. Kong’, or ‘Wonder Woman 1984’.
- Warner Brothers’ ‘It: Chapter Two’ WILL appear, as part of the ScareDiego event.
- The WB sit-out doesn’t include TV, so The CW is likely to have a panel, as they do every year. This year, expect emotional reactions to the end of ‘Arrow’, the show that started it all, and a warm welcome for newcomer ‘Batwoman’.
- Deadline predicts that there is a “99.99%” chance that ‘The Walking Dead’ will be back.
- It is currently unknown if ‘Westworld’ will be present since production is currently underway on Season 3.
Will you be at SDCC? If so, are you excited to check out what could be the last ‘Game of Thrones’ panel?
San Diego Comic-Con Internation will be held from July 18-21.