Fans of Guillermo del Toro‘s original ‘Hellboy’ have all probably given up hope on seeing the film in 4K Ultra HD but thanks to Sony Pictures Home Entertainment it is finally happening. Not only are they going to be giving us the theatrical cut of the film in a 4K remaster but the director’s cut as well! There are also two new features to this release that you’ll be able to enjoy as well which you can read about below.
4K BLU-RAY TECHNICAL SPECS AND SPECIAL FEATURES;
- BRAND NEW 4K REMASTERS OF THE DIRECTOR’S CUT AND THEATRICAL VERSION OF THE FILM
- EXCLUSIVE DOLBY ATMOS TRACK FOR BOTH VERSIONS
- ALL-NEW: Introduction by Guillermo del Toro
- ALL-NEW “To Hell and Back” Retrospective Featurette
- Three Audio Commentaries Featuring Director Guillermo del Toro, Creator Mike Mignola and the Cast
- “The Seeds of Creation” Documentary
- Theatrical Trailers
BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:
- REMASTERED THEATRICAL VERSION OF THE FILM
- Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary
- Makeup and Lighting Tests with Commentary
- VFX How To’s
- A Quick Guide to Understanding Comics with Scott McCloud
- “Right Hand of Doom” Set Visits and Factoids
- Q&A Archive: Comic-Con 2002
- Mike Mignola Pre-Production Art
- Multi-Angle Storyboard Comparisons
- TV Spots
- Photo Galleries
- AND MORE
I love the idea of both the introduction from Guillermo del Toro and am dying to know what will be on the “To Hell and Back” Retrospective Featurette!
For those of you who recognize the cover, it is from the original director’s cut DVD and has been repurposed for the 4K release. This edition appears to have everything from previous releases outside of commentary from Marco Beltrami who did the score for the film and the score itself. Of course, these could be what fall into the “AND MORE” category.
Are you looking forward to being able to check out the original ‘Hellboy’ movie in 4K? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
From visionary writer/director Guillermo del Toro (The Shape of Water, Pacific Rim) comes HELLBOY, a supernatural action adventure based on Mike Mignola’s popular Dark Horse Comics series of the same name. Born in the flames of hell and brought to Earth as an infant to perpetrate evil, Hellboy (Ron Perlman) was rescued from sinister forces by the benevolent Dr. Broom (John Hurt), who raised him to be a hero. In Dr. Broom’s secret Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense, Hellboy creates an unlikely family consisting of the telepathic “Mer-Man” Abe Sapien (Doug Jones) and Liz Sherman (Selma Blair), the woman he loves who can control fire. Hidden from the very society that they protect, they stand as the key line of defense against an evil madman who seeks to reclaim Hellboy to the dark side and use his powers to destroy mankind.
The original ‘Hellboy’ will be available in 4K Ultra HD on October 15th, 2019!