While the cast for Amazon Studios’ billion-dollar take on ‘Lord of the Rings’ still hasn’t been set, we now know who the creative team behind the upcoming show is. Some of them have already been in place with a writers’ room already pushing forward, but the full reveal came at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour. While the team has already been “working for months,” according to Amazon Studios head Jennifer Salke, some of them can now get additional recognition.
We know that the new series is “set in middle-earth, the television adaptation will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring.” Beyond that, there haven’t been too many details revealed quite yet.
According to showrunners and producers J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay:
“This team is our Fellowship — assembled from around the world, all walking the road together to try and accomplish something far greater than any of us could on our own. We feel humbled and extremely lucky to be surrounded by such inspiring and talented women and men.”
Amazon’s Salke would go on to say:
“As our journey into middle-earth begins, we are in excellent hands with J.D. and Patrick at the helm, with this incredible team of talent that they’ve assembled. The depth and breadth of the experience of this writing and production team is truly awesome, with a real respect for and knowledge of Tolkien lore. We’re so happy to have them on board and to see this exciting series start to come to life.”
As to who will make up the rest of the creative talent:
- J.A. Bayona – Will direct two episodes
- Lindsey Weber – Executive Producer
- Bruce Richmond – Executive Producer
- Gene Kelly – Executive Producer
- Sharon Tal Yguado – Executive Producer
- Gennifer Hutchison – Writer and Executive Producer
- Jason Cahill – Writer and Executive Producer
- Justin Doble – Writer and Executive Producer
- Bryan Cogman – Consulting Producer
- Stephany Folsom – Consulting Producer
- Ron Ames – Producer
- Helen Shang – Writer and Co-Producer
- Glenise Mullins – Writing Consultant
- Kate Hawley – Costume Designer
- Rick Heinrichs – Production Designer
- Jason Smith – Visual Effects Supervisor
- Tom Shippe – Tolkien Scholar
- John Howe – Concept Artist
With the new ‘Lord of the Rings’ series set to go into production in 2020, you can expect casting news to start being announced shortly. Rumors do claim that Markella Kavenagh will have a part to play on the show but who or what it is, remains a mystery.
The commitment from Amazon for the show claims to be five seasons with a potential spinoff.
Are you looking forward to Amazon Studios bringing us their take on ‘Lord of the Rings’? Do you feel that this series will be able to capture the imagines of Tolkien fans at the same level HBO did with ‘Game of Thrones’? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Source: The Hollywood Reporter