Since ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ hit theaters, there has been a massive resurgence of excitement for the upcoming slate of films on the horizon. In addition to ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ and ‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’, we should be getting a new ‘Star Wars’ movie every year until 2020 and potentially beyond. But before we venture to a galaxy far, far away once again, fans in twenty cities around the country will have the unique opportunity to experience the trilogy that started it all in a theater thanks to Alamo Drafthouse, many for the first time ever.
Earlier this week, the popular cinema chain announced the epic ‘Return of the Trilogy’ roadshow program that will bring ‘A New Hope’, ‘The Empire Strikes Back’, and ‘Return of the Jedi’ back to select theaters. This ultra rare opportunity to see George Lucas’ beloved films (unfortunately presented in their 1997 re-release formats) will also include “specially curated video content before and between films, contests, props to bring the power of the Force to life, and other special surprises”. VP of Special Events Henri Mazza shared the excitement that everyone at Alamo Drafthouse has to take this show on the road.
“It’s always been a dream to show the original Star Wars trilogy again – somehow, someway. Seeing the original trilogy on the big screen for the first time is a real life-altering event and just a supreme amount of fun. When the films became available to book for screenings like these, we jumped at the chance to do something big.”
Naturally, tickets will go on sale for these events on May 4, 2016 and they’ll be available at ReturnOfTheTrilogy.com. Be sure to be mindful when buying tickets that while some screenings will be presented as a triple feature, others will be spread across three days. Also, considering that this experience is coming from the people that arranged screenings of ‘Jaws’ on a lake or ‘Texas Chainsaw Massacre’ in the house that the movie was filmed, these events will be extremely popular and will probably sell out, so be sure to hop on them fast. You can see the currently announced dates below, although more dates and locations will be released shortly.
- August 6 – San Francisco, CA / The Warfield
- August 6 – Kansas City, MO / The Midland Theatre
- August 6 – Washington, D.C. / Warner Theatre
- August 6 – Los Angeles, CA / The Theatre at the Ace Hotel
- August 6 – New York, NY / The Town Hall
- August 6 – Miami, FL / Olympia Theatre
- August 6 – San Antonio, TX Majestic Theatre
- August 7 – New York, NY / Kings Theatre
- August 7 – Dallas, TX / Majestic Theatre
- August 11 – Austin, TX / The Long Center for the Performing Arts (Ep. 4-A New Hope)
- August 12 – Austin, TX / The Long Center for the Performing Arts (Ep. 5-The Empire Strikes Back)
- August 13 – Austin, TX / The Long Center for the Performing Arts (Ep. 6-Return of the Jedi)
- August 13 – Philadelphia, PA / The Keswick Theatre
- August 13 – Louisville, KY / Brown Theatre
- August 20 – Oakland, CA / Paramount Theatre
- August 27 – Boston, MA / The Boston Opera House
- Date TBD – Houston, TX / Venue TBD
- Date TBD – Denver, CO / Venue TBD
Will you be attending Alamo Drafthouse’s ‘Return of the Trilogy’? What sort of surprises do you think they have in store for these events? Share your thoughts and theories in the comments below.
Despite being a “professional writer”, Ben likes run-on sentences and puns far too much. Also, may the force be with you. For more of his attempts at being funny and the occasional insightful thought, follow him on Twitter and Instagram.