If you’re a fan of ‘Warehouse 13’, and a steampunk fan in general, then iTunes has an app for you! Now you can communicate with your friends and family just like Myka and Pete using the same signature interface of the steampunk communications device from the hit series!
NBC and QMX Interactive have launched the Farnsworth app for the iPhone, iPad and iPod! It turns your screen into the image of a Farnsworth communicator and allows you to make and send video or audio messages just like they do on the show! You can currently download the app from iTunes for $0.99. Unfortunately, the app is not available for Android users at this time.
The Farnsworth app needs an internet connection (WiFi, 3G, CDMA, or EDGE) in order to work. Once you accept an invite from another Farnsworth user or they accept your invite, you are ready to exchange messages! Here are some more cool things the app can do (according to its iTunes page):
• You can send audio-only messages with an oscilloscope effect on-screen that matches your voice!
• Post messages directly to Facebook – or email them directly from your Farnsworth.
• Communicate securely. Only those you invite or those who have invited can exchange messages with you.
• Receive notifications of new messages – even if the Farnsworth app isn’t active.
• The Farnsworth app can be downloaded on multiple devices and your messages will be automatically copied via our server to all devices as you receive them.
• Real-time shadow effects: They move as your iDevice moves.
One of the best features of the app is that you can get messages direct from Artie and Claudia (Saul Rubinek and Allison Scagliotti – the same actors who play the roles)! And you never know when you’ll get them so you feel like you’re part of the team. Almost immediately after downloading the app, there will be at least one message from them.
Fans aren’t the only ones excited about this new app. Eddie McClintock (Pete) tweeted about it when the app first came out:
QMX Interactive is the same company that makes the on screen-accurate prop replicas, apparel, maquettes and novelties for ‘Warehouse 13’ and also creates the actual Farnsworth prop seen on the show so you know that this app will be as authentic as it can get. In fact, if you’re not keen on having a simulated Farnsworth device, you can order a real one from their website for only $399.98. Or if you feel a bit resourceful, you can order a blueprint of the device so you can make your own for only $9.95.
The screenshots below show you some of the features you’ll see with the app. As a big ‘Warehouse 13’ fangirl, I, of course, downloaded it immediately and it’s as amazing as the descriptions depicts it to be. It’s a definate must have for any ‘Warehouse 13’ fan. So… anyone want to join me to retrieve some artifacts? Call me on your Farnsworth and let me know!