Last weekend members of the ‘Gotham’ cast descended upon Atlanta for Dragon Con 2019. David Mazouz (Bruce), Sean Pertwee (Alfred), Robin Lord Taylor (Penguin), Donal Logue (Detective Bullock), and Maggie Geha (Poison Ivy) took the stage to talk about their experiences on the show and answer fan questions. Given all the news on the DC heroes and villains included in the CW’s ‘Crisis On Infinite Earths’ crossover, I had to ask if they were approached to be a part of it.
‘Crisis’ is first and foremost a crossover between ‘The Flash’, ‘Supergirl’, ‘Arrow’, ‘DC’s Legends of Tomorrow’, and ‘Batwoman.’ It has been reported that other familiar faces will play some role, such as characters from ‘Black Lightning’ and even Burt Ward, the Robin last scene along side Adam West’s 1960s Batman. A less familiar face, but a familiar voice, will be present in Kevin Conroy, the beloved voice actor from ‘Batman: The Animated Series’. Finally, the character of Superman is expected to be represented by both Tyler Hoechlin, who plays Supes on ‘Supergirl’, and Brandon Routh, who plays The Atom on ‘DC’s Legends of Tomorrow’ and will also reprise his role of Superman, be it one from a different universe.
Where does that leave Penguin and the rest? Eager, but unconfirmed. The ‘Gotham’ cast did not say whether or not they’ve been approached to return to their roles for a CW crossover but would be happy to under one circumstance: that no one is recast. Donal Logue, for example, would only want to play Bullock alongside Ben McKenzie’s Gordon. It’s a fair condition that would be required to make the universe of ‘Gotham’ feel like an Earth unto itself. The Earth of the CW’s Batwoman may have someone else playing Gordon, but the Gotham of the show ‘Gotham’ must remain intact.
As far as being recast into other super-roles, the ‘Gotham’ actors sounded off on who they want to play:
- David Mazouz (Bruce) recommended himself as Damian Wayne unless he’s already aged into Peter Parker (or Shazam, but that’s probably just because he met Zachary Levi at Dragon Con.)
- Sean Pertwee (Alfred) wouldn’t mind staying in the Batman-universe as the Mad Hatter.
- Robin Lord Taylor (Penguin) thinks his Walking Dead character should return as a zombie.
- Donal Logue (Detective Bullock) wants to play a vampire opposite Blade.
- Maggie Geha (Poison Ivy) thinks she’s destined to play more redheads…maybe Marvel’s next Jean Grey!
Do you want to see ‘Gotham’ in ‘Crisis on Infinite Earths’ or are you ready for the cast to move on to other roles?