For awhile the idea of a ‘Superman: Red Son‘ movie had been talked about and now it seems to be happening, at least in animated form! While initially reported as a rumor, voice actor Diedrich Bader took to Twitter to confirm it before having to delete his Tweet – most likely at the studio’s request. ‘Red Son’ is one of the most iconic “Elseworlds” stories and also one of Mark Millar’s most notable works of all time.
For those somehow unfamiliar with the original story, here is the synopsis from the graphic novel:
Imagine a reality where the world’s most powerful super-being does not grow up in Smallville, Kansas – or even America, for that matter…
SUPERMAN: RED SON is a vivid tale of Cold War paranoia, that reveals how the ship carrying the infant who would later be known as Superman lands in the midst of the 1950s Soviet Union. Raised on a collective, the infant grows up and becomes a symbol to the Soviet people, and the world changes drastically from what we know – bringing Superman into conflict with Batman, Lex Luthor and many others.
The upcoming animated film hasn’t been officially announced by DC Films yet but within moments of a rumored cast list being posted one of the voice actors confirmed their involvement! As to who will be voicing the characters it is stated the film will include:
- Amy Acker (Has voiced The Huntress in the past)
- Anna Vocino (Has voiced Oracle several times)
- Diedrich Bader (Has voiced several DC characters, But Is Best known for Batman)
- Greg Chun
- Jim Ward (Has voiced Commissioner Gordon various times)
- Jason Isaacs (Has voiced Lex Luthor, Sinestro, and Ra’s Al Ghul)
- Jason Spisak (Has frequently voiced Wally West)
- Jim Meskimen (Has voiced Batman and Victor Fries)
- Paul Williams (Has frequently voiced Oswald Cobblepott, aka The Penguin)
- Phil Lamarr (Has voiced a wide variety of DC characters)
- Phil Morris (Has voiced a wide variety of DC characters)
- Roger Craig Smith (Voiced Batman in Batman Ninja)
- Sasha Roiz
- Tara Strong (Best known for voicing Harley Quinn, has also done Raven and Batgirl)
- Travis Willingham (Has voiced Superman in several Lego DC projects)
- Vanessa Marshall (She’s Black Canary on Young Justice, has also been Poison Ivy)
- William Salyers (Has voiced both The Penguin and Hugo Strange)
- Winter Zoli
There is no confirmation as to who will be voicing which characters at this time. Travis Willingham has previously voiced Superman and seems the likely choice, but Diedrich Bader is the most notable name on the list and could also be a contender. Bader is most known in voice acting for handling Batman, but Roger Craig Smith has also done the voice of The Dark Knight so it wouldn’t be a complete stretch to see things mixed up here. We’re talking about an alternate Earth, so anything is possible.
As to the actor who quickly confirmed that they were involved in the film, it was Diedrich Bader! While the Tweet was deleted soon after, this is the Internet, and thankfully a screen capture was grabbed which you can see below:
Until DC Films officially starts sharing details we won’t know much though with their current timeline it is easy to guess that this will end up seeing a 2020 release.
Are you excited at the thought of an animated take on ‘Superman: Red Son’? Who do you think will be doing which voices from the cast list above? Share your thoughts in the comments below!