Back in August, Marvel Television announced that they would be bringing the Marvel Cinematic Universe to Hulu with a live-action adaptation of Brian K. Vaughn and Adrian Alphona’s award-winning comic series ‘Runaways’. The House of Ideas also shared that this tale of a diverse group of teens that discover that their parents are part of an infamous supervillain organization would be told by ‘Gossip Girl’ creators Josh Schwartz & Stephanie Savage. However, no casting announcements were made at the time. Now, we know exactly who will make up the fan favorite team of young heroes.
According to Marvel.com, the highly anticipated young adult superhero drama has found its six leads. In an announcement made on the site, co-creator Vaughn expressed his excitement for the relatively unknown cast by saying that they all “embody the spirit of their characters more than I ever could have imagined”. Before we can see for ourselves when the show premieres, let’s meet the team:
- Rhenzy Feliz (‘Teen Wolf’, ‘Casual’) as Alex Wilder is a loud-and-proud nerd. Admittedly a bit of a loner, Alex spends much of his free-time playing video games, but deep down, what he wants most is to reunite his childhood group of friends.
- Lyrica Okano (‘The Affair’, ‘Unforgettable’) as Nico Minoru – tough, intelligent, and independent –embodies teenage angst. A budding “Wiccan,” Nico’s carefully crafted goth appearance isolates her from her peers and family, but maybe what she really needs is someone to talk to.
- Virginia Gardner (‘Goat’, ‘Little Bitches’) as Karolina Dean, model-perfect exterior with a lot going on behind her professionally whitened smile, is burdened by the lofty expectations and responsibilities put upon her by her parents. Underneath her veneer of privilege and perfection, Karolina is experiencing a newfound eagerness to explore her identity and pursue her own desires.
- Ariela Barer (‘New Girl’, ‘One Day at a Time’) as Gert Yorkes is a purple-haired, bespectacled, contemporary riot grrrl. Never passing up a moment to stand on a soapbox, Gert sometimes wields her persona as a brash social justice warrior to mask her true feelings.
- Gregg Sulkin (‘Faking It’, ‘Don’t Hang Up’, ‘Anti Social’) as Chase Stein is a lacrosse-playing, high school heartthrob. While many write him off as a dumb jock, Chase exhibits flashes of untapped brilliance in engineering, not unlike his wildly successful father.
- Allegra Acosta (‘100 Things to do Before High School’, ‘Just Add Magic’) as Molly Hernandez, the youngest and most innocent member of her friend group, is known for her peppy positivity and a deep yearning to belong.
Based on our first look at these stars, True Believers should be pretty happy with the choices made. It also doesn’t hurt that the cast has Vaughn’s approval. But now we anxiously wait for the first shot of the kids in character. While we wait for that, let us know what you think about the stars of Marvel Television’s ‘Runaways’ in the comments below.