Last year, AMC announced plans to create a companion series to it’s massively successful ‘The Walking Dead,’ which is the highest rated drama on TV. It’s only natural the creators would seek to replicate that success, but rather than breaking off established survivors and sending them apart from the group, it was rumored that the show would take place in an entirely different location, maybe even in another country. Then rumors started to emerge that the show would actually take place in the past and depict the outbreak of the zombie plague.
Now we have the casting list which seems to corroborate those rumors, as there is absolutely no mention of zombies or survival. Also keep on mind that usually casting lists like these, especially with high profile projects like these often use fake names, so I wouldn’t expect to actually see Sean, Cody, Nancy, Nick, Ashley and Andrea on the finished program, at least not by those names.
- Sean Cabrera – A Latino male in his early 40s, Sean is a good man trying to do right by everyone in his life.
- Cody Cabrera – Sean’s whip-smart and rebellious teenage son. Known as the angriest kid in town.
- Nancy Tompkins – A thirtysomething single mom to two kids, Nancy looks like the girl next door, but there’s an edge to her.
- Nick Tompkins – Nancy’s screwed up teenage son. He’s too old to stay at home, too scared to flee.
- Ashley Tompkins – Nancy’s mostly level-headed teenage daughter. Her ambition is in direct proportion to her older brother’s failures. She loves her mom but it’s time to get out of Dodge.
- Andrea Chapman – A somewhat wilted flower child, fortysomething Andrea—yep, another Andrea!—has retreated to the outskirts of the city to recover after a horrible marriage.
So at least the first episode takes place before there are any walkers and will establish these characters lives and their dynamic in, basically a normal world. The descriptions are spare, leaving room to grow and really delve into their personalities, BUT, I really hope they don’t take too long to get to the outbreak!
Are you looking forward to more ‘Walking Dead’ on TV?