“Just imagine! Action, thrills, fantasy! All yours, free on the first Saturday in May!” ~ Stan “The Man” Lee
“Free Comic Book Day is a single day – the first Saturday in May each year – when participating comic book shops across North America and around the world give away comic books absolutely FREE to anyone who comes into their stores. Check with your local comic book shop for their participation and rules.”
So in other words, it’s one day where anyone can visit their local brick and mortar comic book shop and grab one (or more) comic books for free! Why don’t we just let the Generalissimo explain it all, shall we?
According to the Free Comic Book Day site:
Comic books began in the 1930s as a unique American art form that has grown – like so many American forms of entertainment – to spread around the globe. From Japanese businessmen reading manga on the subways of Tokyo to French artists re-interpreting Proust with words and pictures, comics have changed entertainment and challenged perceptions. These days, there are comic books for every taste, from slam-bang super-hero adventures and thoughtful slice-of-life to thrilling science fiction and intense drama.
If it’s been a while since you’ve read a comic book, prepare to be pleasantly surprised by the breadth of variety available!
If you’re new to comics, here’s some information that will help you get the most out of them.
If you’re wondering what comics will be yours for the taking, here are a few of the titles available on Saturday! You can see a full list of the all the available comics on the Free Comic Day website.
Before you head out on FCBD, here are 5 tips for an unforgettable day!
1. Find a Participating Comic Book Shop: Make sure you find a participating comic shop so you know where you are going to get your free comics. You can use the FCBD Comic Shop Locator to find a store near you. If there are multiple comic shops near you participating we encourage you to plan out which stores you will go to during the day so you can get a variety of the FCBD comics.
2. Contact Your Local Comic Shop: Either call your local comic shop, check out their Facebok page and/or website to see what their Free Comic Book Day policy plans are in addition to what extra events are going to be taking place during their FCBD. Some comics shops give out 1-2 comics, while others give out more. It is good to know how many comics you can expect to get for free so you can plan out if you want to visit other comics shops to see if you can get more free comics and different books.
3. Plan to Arrive Early: Some comic shops may have lines for recieving the free comics and some may not. If this is your first Free Comic Book Day, when you contact your local comic shop about their free comic policy, ask them what the lines have been like in the past to see how early they recommend arriving and how long the wait tends to be. Some quantities of the FCBD comics tend to go quickly, so arriving early will help increase your chances of getting the comics you are most looking forward to.
Note: Each comic shop pays for the comics they give away for free. They cost less than a regular comic, but they do cost the retailer money, which is why quantities are limited at each comic shop. Make sure to thank your retailer for participating.
If your local participating comic shop says they tend to have long lines to recieve the free comics, we advise bringing snacks, water and entertainment for the wait but it’s definately worth it! Line and crowd control is determined by the comic shop staff, so make sure to follow all directions so you can get your free comics and also check out your local comic shop in an organized manner.
4. Visit the Free Comic Book Day Facebook Page: Check out the FCBD Facebook page to get up-to-date news about the FCBD comics, special events, interviews from the FCBD comic creators and artitists, cosplayers, videos about FCBD, and more! There are also daily give-aways that take place, featuring items that can be found at your local comic book specialty shop! Visit www.facebook.com/freecomicbook
5. Have Fun! Free Comic Book Day is the biggest celebration of comic books and a great time to discover new types of comics! It’s the perfect time to see what your local comic shop has in store, a time to read new comics, get kids involved in reading and have fun as a community! You will be able to meet a variety of comic fans and those who are new to comics that are discovering them for the first time. Head to your local participating comic shop for a day of fun and memories! One of the best ways to have fun is to dress up as your favorite comic book character, trying to go to as many participating comic shops as you can, taking tons of pictures and participating in all the events!
So will you be participating in FCBD? If so, let us know which comics you plan on getting!