If you thought any of the other parties involved with San Diego Comic-Con had something special lined up then wait until you get a load of what Syfy is up to. They are putting their money where their mouth is with the new rebranding initiative and 15 series panels and screenings lined up, a slew of events, parties, and more! Not only that, but for fans who can’t attend the convention which is the greatest source of fun and news for genre fans than they even have you covered with Zachary Levi hosting ‘Syfy Live From Comic-Con’ which is a three-night live event that they’ll be viewable on the channel.
According to Executive Vice President, Marketing and Digital, USA Network and SYFY Alexandra Shapiro:
“San Diego Comic-Con is the pinnacle event of the year for sci-fi enthusiasts, and as the only network dedicated to the genre 24/7, we can’t wait to celebrate in a big way. SYFY is going to San Diego this year with a singular focus: to put fans first.”
It really is and what the network has in store for us is pretty amazing.
Here is what you can expect from their panels and screenings:
- A frakking great BATTLESTAR GALACTICA reunion! With creator Ron Moore and cast from the hit series.
- The ultimate sci-fi debate throwdown! Moderated by John Hodgman, the biggest names in the sci-fi universe duke it out over the most influential moments, milestones and people in the genre’s history. In “SYFY Hosts the Great Debate,” our expert panel will have the final word (or not!) on important topics like: “Star Trek” or “Star Wars”? Did Han or Greedo shoot first? And just who was the most influential captain of all time?
- Panels for 11 SYFY shows! Including:
o SYFY’s upcoming Superman prequel series KRYPTON and the graphic novel adaptation HAPPY! (KRYPTON panel is co-hosted with Warner Bros. Television Group, and HAPPY! is co-hosted with Universal Cable Productions)
o Stars and creators of current SYFY hits THE EXPANSE, THE MAGICIANS and 12 MONKEYS (THE MAGICIANS and 12 MONKEYS panels are co-hosted with Universal Cable Productions)
o Fan favorites SHARKNADO, VAN HELSING, WYNONNA EARP, Z NATION and DARK MATTER — and upcoming new series GHOST WARS (All panels hosted by their respective studios)
- Two big screenings! SYFY and Universal Cable Productions are screening an all-new episode of the grindhouse series BLOOD DRIVE and the premiere episode of “NO-END HOUSE,” the next installment in SYFY’s hit horror anthology CHANNEL ZERO.
I will always be a huge fanboy of ‘Battlestar Galactica’ so that is clearly at the top of my list of what looks good. After that, ‘The Expanse’ or ‘Dark Matter’ would probably be the next thing that I’d want to hit up!
The network also shared that they would have a slew of events and activities outside of the panels and here they are:
- SYFY fan parties! Stripping away the exclusivity of traditional Comic-Con parties, SYFY is throwing two nights of first-come-first-served bashes. Hosted at the Children’s Museum on Thursday, July 20 and Saturday, July 22, the themed parties feature photo booths, hourly surprises, live performances and more.
- Superfan nuptials! Who says Comic-Con isn’t romantic? Actor Orlando Jones makes fans’ dreams come true, as he presides over pop-up nuptials at TBD locations throughout the weekend.
- Trivia trolleys! Test your sci-fi knowledge and compete to win prize money and other giveaways on SYFY trolleys roaming the streets of San Diego.
- Cosplay karaoke buses! Take the stage – and the mic – to belt out your favorite sci-fi theme songs on SYFY buses traveling throughout the city. You might even be surprised by one of your favorite stars!
- Cosplay repair carts! Get an expert makeup touch-up or costume repair at these roaming carts, designed to ensure that all cosplaying ‘con-goers are at their camera-ready best.
- A SYFY drumline! A drumline marching through the streets of the Gaslamp Quarter, playing sci-fi theme songs and commemorating major moments in science fiction history? Yes, please.
- The Nerd Party lives on! SYFY is partnering with Zachary Levi to co-host his annual invitation-only Friday night party.
For this one, it is hard to tell which would be the most fun. I think the Superfan Nuptials might bring a tear to your eye while the Trivia Trolleys would be a great way for fans to show off their knowledge and win some cool prizes to boot.
Which of Syfy’s events do you think look to be the most fun? Is their a specific panel that you would die to attend? Share your thoughts below!