Last week, Disney and Lucasfilm announced that ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ would be released on Blu-Ray and DVD on April 5, 2016. Along with the announcement, they also revealed a number of the special features that would appear on the home release such as featurettes, interviews, and deleted scenes. However, before ‘Episode VIII’ is available for you to take home, a very special bonus feature will premiere at this year’s South By Southwest Film Festival in Austin, Texas next week.
SXSW revealed this week that ‘Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey’ would make it’s world premiere at the festival on Monday, March 14, 2016 at 12:00pm at the historic Paramount Theatre. Though the feature-length documentary will be included on the upcoming DVD and Blu-Ray of J.J. Abrams’ epic tale from a galaxy far, far away for everyone to see, the programmers have sweetened the pot for the few in attendance by bringing VFX supervisor Roger Guyett, supervising sound editor Matthew Wood, and co-producer Michelle Rejwan to the festival for a Q&A following the screening. This will also be the only opportunity to view the doc filled with in-depth footage and exclusive interviews with the cast and crew behind ‘The Force Awakens’ in a theatrical setting with these guests that lovers of the craft will most certainly enjoy.
As for the rest of us that can’t make it all the way to Austin for this awesome event, we’ll have to wait until next month to see the documentary as a special feature when the movie hits stores. And if you’re curious about what other goodies the Blu-Ray and DVD releases of ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’, you can check out some of them right here:
- ‘The Story Awakens: The Table Read’ – Cast members familiar and new reflect on the memorable day they all first came together to read the movie’s script.
- ‘Building BB-8’ – See how the filmmakers brought the newest droid to the screen, creating an instant fan favorite in the ‘Star Wars’ universe.
- ‘Crafting Creatures’ – Watch movie magic as the filmmakers bring a cast of new creatures to life.
- ‘Blueprint of a Battle: The Snow Fight’ – Go deeper into the epic, climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren.
- ‘John Williams: The Seventh Symphony’ – The legendary composer shares personal insights of his work on ‘Star Wars’ and ‘The Force Awakens’.
- ‘ILM: The Visual Magic of The Force’ – An insider’s look into the remarkable digital artistry of the movie’s visual effects.
- ‘Force For Change’ – Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. See how the ‘Star Wars: Force for Change’ initiative has united ‘Star Wars’ fans all over the globe to help others.
What do you think about SXSW screening ‘Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey’ ahead of the ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Blu-Ray and DVD release? Do you wish that you could attend the event live and in person? Sound off in the comments.