J.J. Abram’s highly-anticipate Star Trek sequel may still be a few months away, but Paramount Pictures and Qualcomm, Inc. are building the hype early. Later this month, Paramount and Qualcomm are launching an interactive Star Trek Into Darkness iOS app that will reward users with exclusive videos, images, and other content leading up to the release of the film.
The app presents users with a variety of missions which can be completed in a number of different ways. Using “cutting edge technologies,” the app is able to recognize audio and images in the real world that will be used to unlock new content, the first of which will be offered in the Star Trek TV spot during the second quarter of the Super Bowl. Everyone who downloads and registers for the Star Trek Into Darkness app will also be entered into a sweepstakes for the chance to win a trip to the film’s premiere. Qualcomm CEO Dr. Paul E. Jacobs stated:
We are excited about collaborating with Paramount on this app as it further brings to life Qualcomm’s vision of the digital sixth sense, where devices intelligently interact with the world around you. By leveraging the Gimbal platform, this app harnesses the power of the smartphone to bridge the digital and physical world, allowing the studio to market the film in the real world and simultaneously bring users into the film’s story and world.
Jacobs made the announcement earlier today at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, while an official press release gave the following information:
Highlights of the “STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS” app include:
• An audio scan function that can be turned on to automatically recognize and reward users for watching “STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS” content on TV and other media;
• An image scan function that enables users to interact with images printed or viewable in the real world;
• A geofencing function for location-based experiences;
• New “STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS” content, such as videos, images and wallpapers delivered directly to users’ mobile devices;
• Exclusive opportunities and special offers only available to app users;
• One lucky sweepstakes winner will be rewarded with the grand prize of attending the “STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS” U.S. premiere.
“STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS” is written by Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman & Damon Lindelof and directed by J.J. Abrams. Abrams is producing with Bryan Burk through Bad Robot Productions, along with Lindelof, Kurtzman and Orci. Jeffrey Chernov and Skydance Productions’ David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Paul Schwake are the executive producers.
“STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS” opens in theaters everywhere May 17, 2013.
For your chance to get the official app and be entered in the VIP sweepstakes, visit the official site here.