Filming on ‘The Avengers’ is coming close to an end. Right now, the production crew is wrapping up in Cleveland before heading out to New York to film some last few scenes then it’s on to Los Angeles where all the post production magic begins.
In an exclusive with Total Film, director Joss Whedon spoke briefly about his style of directing stating, “You have to respect the realities of the other movies. But visually this is very much my own thing. My style is very comic-book-like anyway, so I’m trying to do things the way I always do.”
And what’s his take about using all these different movie superheroes and putting them together? “Part of Iron Man’s thing was, ‘Wow, this feels just like us! Asgard, less so, and Captain America was a nostalgia piece, so basically it would have been like hiring all the composers of all the other movies to work together on the score.”
And speaking of the superheroes being put together, promo art for the film has been released showing the Avengers team together as well as Loki. Not as exciting as seeing the actual actors but it gives us a clear look at what their respective outfits will look like. And it looks sharp!
In an homage to the last day of filming, this video was uploaded to YouTube showing some final takes of the movie. Although there are no stars in the video, you do get to see a destruction of a hot dog cart, and explosion and a camera drop:
- The plot of the movie which was co-written by Joss Whedon still remains a mystery. It somehow involves the Avengers team battling Loki, who has stolen the Cosmic Cube which can warp reality. There have also been rampant rumors that the Skrulls will be present in the movie which would mirror a recent storyline in the comic.
- In many scenes that have been filmed, the Avengers fought people in motion capture suits. Some are thinking they will be computer generated aliens.
- Thor and Captain America will battle Loki amidst the rubble of destruction.
- An area in Public Square was turned a beer garden and opera house in Stuttgart, Germany. Captain America and Iron Man fight Loki in front of extras dressed in formal wear. Although Robert Downey Jr. never made it to Cleveland, his stunt double was in place in full costume augmented with motion capture devices.
- Black Widow (Scarlet Johansson) was filmed on top of a warehouse which doubled as a Russian facility for some top secret filming.
- Mark Ruffalo (Bruce Banner/The Hulk) did not come to Cleveland.
- An old Chevrolet plant was used to film fireball explosions that will be spliced into other scenes.
So it looks like ‘The Avengers’ movie leaks are over…unless someone knows anyone who works in visual effects? Until then, we’ll just have to wait until next year when the movie comes out on May 4>th. Keep checking back here because once we know more about the movie, we’ll let you know!