Sony has just announced that their PlayStation brand will be reaching across all its different entertainment services, which includes movies, TV and music.
Announced alongside Sony’s reveal of PlayStation Music, a music service powered by Spotify for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and Xperia smartphones and tablets, the new names to the company’s entertainment services will be unifying all pre-existing ones under the PlayStation label.
“We are very excited to offer our wide array of network services including games, TV, videos and music, under the PlayStation brand,” said Andrew House, President and Group CEO of SEI, and group chief executive of the PlayStation business. “We look forward to bringing even more compelling experiences, and an unparalleled breadth and quality of digital entertainment services and content to our customers.”
The full list of Sony’s newly branded PlayStation services are as follows:
- PlayStation Store: The online store for games on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita.
- PlayStation Plus: The paid membership subscription service that offers exclusive discounts, free games via instant game collection and access to online multiplayer.
- PlayStation Video: The buy-or-rent service replacing the previous Video Unlimited service. It offers nearly 200,000 movies and TV shows across PlayStation platforms, Sony devices and Windows PCs.
- PlayStation Music: A Spotify-powered music streaming service coming in spring. Features ability for PSN users to link their accounts with Spotify and use them to subscribe to its premium service.
- PlayStation Now: A game streaming service that brings classic PlayStation games to consoles and Sony devices and select Samsung Smart TVs.
- PlayStation Vue: Initially announced in November 2014, PlayStation Vue is the new, cloud-based TV service for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 owners, combining live TV with select network partners with on-demand and catch-up TV content. (PlayStation Vue is expected to launch in the first quarter of 2015).
As of December 2014, Sony’s PlayStation Network and Sony Entertainment network subscribers together exceed over 64 million subscribers.
Source: Sony Press Release