Paul Feig has made it official and has announced the new team for his ‘Ghostbusters 3’ film!
THR broke the news which was then verified by a wordless tweet by Feig showcasing the four actresses. As was rumored, Melissa McCarthy will be headlining the cast and will be joined by her ‘Bridesmaids’ costar Kristen Wiig. Rounding out the cast are ‘Saturday Night Live’ players Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon. While McCarthy is said to be the only one officially signed, Sony is reportedly in negotiations with the other three.
It shouldn’t be surprised the Feig went with an all comedienne cast as he has stated he loves working with funny women. Re-teaming with his ‘Bridesmaids’ stars McCarthey and Wiig seems to verify that fact.
At the moment, Katie Dippold is said to be still working on the script but apparently a first draft has been done as Feig stated earlier this month that he wanted to see how the first draft looked like before he figured out “who makes sense in these roles.” As for the plot, Fieg’s original pitch for the film has been made known with the four women trying to “figure out in [various] funny, scary, and action-packed ways how to save New York City and the world.”
The ‘Ghostbusters’ film has been in the works for a very long time with Ivan Reitman previously attached to direct the film. Original cast members Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson all seemed to be onboard to reprise their roles with Bill Murray somewhat disinterested in returning. When Ramis passed away last year, Reitman decided to leave the helmer’s chair but stay on as producer. It was at that time that Sony signed Feig to carry on with the project.
No official production start date for ‘Ghostbusters 3’ has been made – at least not yet. But with the announcement of a cast, it looks like this ‘Ghostbusters’ film may no longer be in development hell.