Back in May after working on the film since before the inception of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it was announced that Edgar Wright would be leaving ‘Ant-Man.‘ The amicable split came as a huge shock to everyone, including some of the cast, but apparently the creative differences between the studio and the filmmaker were just too great to overcome. Now, ‘Bring It On’ director Peyton Reed has taken Wright’s place at the helm of the upcoming Phase Three film, Adam McKay (among others) has tweaked the script, and Marvel head honcho Kevin Feige is explaining how things went down as he’s doing press for ‘Guardians of the Galaxy.’.
In an interview with The Guardian, the Marvel Studios President recounted the events that lead up to that surprising announcement earlier this summer that saw the fan favorite director exit the production. He also mentioned that while creative differences were a factor, the departure was “combination” of things that may have included the way that Wright does things:
“We sat round a table and we realized it was not working. A part of me wishes we could have figured that out in the eight years we were working on it. But better for us and for Edgar that we figure it out then, and not move it through production.
We said let’s do this together and put out a statement. What do we say? ‘Creative differences’. I said: ‘That’s what they always say and no-one ever believes it.’ Edgar said: ‘But in this case it’s true.‘
The Marvel movies are very collaborative, and I think they are more collaborative than what he had been used to. And I totally respect that.”
The producer continued by dismissing the rumors that Wright’s version of ‘Ant-man’, which was co-written by Joe Cornish, was too out there for the House of Ideas:
“The notion that Marvel was scared, the vision was too good, too far out for Marvel is not true. And I don’t want to talk too much about that because I think our movies speak to that. Go look at ‘Iron Man 3’; go look at ‘The Winter Soldier’; go see ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ later this month. It would have to be really out there to be too out there for us.”
Finally, he does the producer thing by saying that Reed’s version will be “the absolute best version of ‘Ant-Man’ that could have existed”, but he also shares his disappointment over the falling out:
“The biggest disappointment for me is just the relationship, because I like Edgar very, very much and we were very close for many many years. But the perception that the big evil studio was too scared at the outside-the-box creative vision is just not the case.”
Every time that I hear more about this story, I get bummed out because I was really looking forward to Edgar Wright’s ‘Ant-Man’. However, Kevin Feige hasn’t steered us wrong yet, so part of me is inclined to trust him on this one. How about you? Do you believe in his statements about Peyton Reed? Are you disappointed that things with Wright didn’t work out too? And what’s your take on the whole situation? Let us know in the comment section.
‘Ant-Man’ starring Michael Douglas and Paul Rudd hits theaters on July 17, 2015.