It hard to believe that ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ is only weeks away from being in theaters and Trekkies still don’t know who the big baddie Benedict Cumberbatch is actually playing. Even more surprising is that Abrams screened a rough 30 minutes of the film to the press and while the identity of Cumberbatch still remains to be a secret, there were other spoilers to be had from the screening.
Press in London and Brazil were given a sneak peek of scenes of the first quarter of the film. What was shown was still in the early stages on completion with a lot of the visual effects and music still missing, but those in attendance still considered this rough draft “exciting” and “mind blowing” with “jaw dropping space thrills.”
Despite all this, it appears that what was shown didn’t give any major developments. The Brazilian site Judao.com was able to give some details of what they saw and we have them here for you to read.
If you don’t want to know anything about the film, I would suggest you stop reading now as the following does contain plot points essential to the overall story.
WARNING – SPOILERS AHEAD!!!
Here are some of the details from Brazil screening:
* Opening sequence (previewed at IMAX theaters in December) has been reordered to have Nibiru Volcano sequence now opens the film followed by title card and then the scenes in London and at the hospital.
* Nibiru mission ends with Kirk rescuing Spock by violating the prime directive by revealing the Enterprise to Nibiru natives so he can beam Spock out of the Volcano.
* Kirk has a scene in bed (back in San Francisco) in bed with two “cat women.”
* Kirk makes mention of hoping to get assigned to a “five year mission” (implying that the famed five year mission hasn’t started yet for the time he has been captain).
* Kirk is demoted for violating prime directive on Nibiru, loses command of Enterprise with Pike to take over command Kirk as first officer.
* Pike wanted to send Kirk back to Academy but was convinced (possibly ordered?) to make Kirk first officer of Enterprise by Admiral Marcus (played by Peter Weller).
* Spock assigned to another ship.
* The “father” character uses his Starfleet ring as a bomb (dropping it into water for a reaction) and destroys a facility (in London).
* London attack leads to big meeting of Starfleet captains which itself is attacked by John Harrison, resulting in Pike being injured…Harrison transport away.
* Enterprise severely damaged falling to Earth with Spock in command ordering evacuation.
* Kirk and Scott seen in Engineering trying to stabilize ship.
* Later Spock scene beaming down to San Francisco and starting long chase with Harrison.
* Eventually Spock meets up with Harrison and engages in a fight.
While it may seem like a lot of the film was shown, according to Den of Geek, what wasn’t seen were Klingons, Carol Marcus or her father Admiral Marcus (although he was mentioned), John Harrison’s plan, or how the crew of the Enterprise eventually band together after Spock’s transfer.
But it does seem as though the consensus is clear: ‘Star Trek into Darkness’ is bigger, badder and worth the 4 year wait for the sequel.
So what do you think of the information so far? Does it sound like J.J. Abrams, Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof delivered a worthy sequel? Let us know in the comments!