Don’t Expect To See Those ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ Deleted Scenes Anytime Soon

Posted Thursday, March 16th, 2017 02:00 pm GMT -4 by

rogue-one-a-star-wars-story

Gareth Edwards has revealed new details on the deleted scenes from ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story‘ and it was “as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced” when we learned that they won’t be available. With how vastly different the original last act of the film was from what originally had been shot there was a ton that was cut or changed which had previews in the marketing material. There was probably quite a bit of hope that they’d make their way onto the home release of the film but there was no Jyn Erso to deliver us that hope in this situation.

During a recent interview with Edwards spoke about the digital release of ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ which is due on March 24th, 2017 and the Blu-Ray on April 4th, 2017 he shared the sad news with everyone.

“There’s not an individual scene that you can drag and drop and put on a Blu-ray. There are little things that would come and go during the process of postproduction, but they’re not scenes. They’re more moments within the scenes or a single shot. So it’s impossible to be able to do that, and that’s why the decision was made.”

When he was asked about specific scenes such as the TIE Fighter which rose in front of Jyn Erso and the Rebels running across Scarif with the Death Star plans he stated:

“The stuff people talk about, like what they saw in the trailer, they’re not scenes you can just put on a DVD. They’re moments within scenes and threads, and you pull a thread and it all changes. It was changing the whole time. It’s not like there was one version and then there was this other version — it was like this thing that incrementally evolved constantly through all of postproduction and didn’t stop until there was a gun at our heads and we were forced to release the movie.”

When pressed on the TIE Fighter shot which I’m sure we all wanted to see how Erso survived:

“Yeah, it’s going to have to remain a myth because it’s sort of the thing where you’re trying ideas out to find the right version of the movie, and at the same time marketing is getting excited about certain shots and moments. Eventually, you’ll see something presented to you and you’ll be like, wait a minute, this shot is no longer in the film.”

While some of those individual or snippets of scenes existed, the alternate version of the Scarif battle will never be released in its entirety for one very simple reason:

“The visual effects were never finished on it. It’s not like there’s something sitting somewhere. I feel like making a film is like a sport where someone blows a whistle and that’s it — the score is what it is. And the goal is to win. If I could go back and do the film knowing what I know now, the final film would be completely different. I’d probably be willing to make Star Wars for the next 10 years and never let go of it — constantly trying to finesse and find new ideas. But at some point, it stops, and it is the movie. The film that got released, I feel like that is the film, and everything else is just the process of making it.”

Eerily, that almost sounds like what George Lucas ended up doing to the original trilogy. That being said, Edwards did an outstanding job with ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ and proved that a stand alone in the ‘Star Wars’ universe could be just as compelling as the Skywalker films. Hopefully, Lucasfilm will bring him back for another in the future. Even if Edwards previously said that he wouldn’t make another Star Wars film.

Are you sad to hear that we’ll never see that ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ bonus material? Share your thoughts below!

Source: Fandango

horizontal line

Stuart Conover is an author, blogger, and all around geek. When not busy being a father and husband he tries to spend as much time as possible immersed in comic books, science fiction, and horror! Would you like to know more? Follow him on Twitter!