Back in April, Warner Bros. Television announced a fall release of the complete DVD set of ‘Smallville.’ Today all 10 seasons will be available in one set. The DVD set has a retail price of $339.88.
The set has all 218 episodes and special features on 62 discs. This ultimate collector set includes:
- Over 192 hours of content
- A never-before seen ‘Superboy’ pilot from 1961
- A 90 minute series retrospective with all new interviews
- 2010 final Comic Con panel
- The ‘Aquaman’ pilot starring Justin Hartley
- Paley Festival featurette
- Exclusive Daily Planet newspaper written by DC Comics that highlights the important storylines developed during the 10-year run of the show
- Two lay-flat picture books that hold 62 discs
- Episode guide with never-before-seen production art (storyboards/sketches) and behind-the-scenes photos
The studio does not have plans to release all 10 seasons in Blu-ray due to technical issues with the first seasons, as the studio’s official statement explains: “At this time, Warner Home Video does not have plans to release ‘Smallville: The Complete Series’ on Blu-ray due to technical issues present in the first seasons. These differences include standard definition technical aspects, most notably within special effects, that do not format suitably to Blu-ray 1080p standards. These episodes are available for download in 720p high definition.”
A resolution of 720p does not meet Blu-ray standards. For the early seasons of ‘Smallville’ to come to Blu-ray, the studio will have to spend money to remaster those episodes to be the right quality for the Blu-ray format. If ‘Smallville’ makes money for the studio, then they will be motivated to do the process that will fix the technical issues.
The set was available at a special pre-order price, but the price might be different because the set is finally available. In fact, it was on sale on Amazon.com for $199.99. The complete DVD set of ‘Smallville’ is also available at WBshop.com, Best Buy, and other retail stores.