Just in time to kick your December off right, Cleopatra Records has unleashed the music video for ‘Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer’, the second single from William Shatner‘s Christmas album, ‘Shatner Claus’. The song features guitar by Billy Gibbons from the classic rock band ZZ Top, who shares the stage with Shatner during the rockin’ second portion of the video. But the track begins a lot more low-key with Shatner Claus reading the classic holiday story to a group of children (and an elf with eyebrow piercings) with his own signature dramatic flourish. But with that out of the way, the video turns into a Yuletide version of Miley Cyrus’ ‘We Can’t Stop’, with a dancing gingerbread furry, glowing baton twirlers and more glitter than a Vegas strip club.
While some prefer a more homey, simple holiday, there’s no denying the general tackiness associated with Christmas with all the bright colorful lights, tinsel, metallic ornaments, gift wrap, etc. and Shatner’s video encapsulates that side of the season pretty perfectly.
Check out the music video below:
Here is the description for ‘Shatner Claus’ as provided by Cleopatra Records:
“A very special gift of the holidays – the first ever Christmas album from the godfather of dramatic musical interpretations and a legend of stage and screen, Mr. William Shatner!
“Features an incredible cast of supporting players such as Henry Rollins, Billy Gibbons, Judy Collins, Brad Paisley, Rick Wakeman, Iggy Pop, Todd Rundgren, Joe Louis Walker and more!
This is a holiday treat the whole family can enjoy with gorgeous and fun arrangements of these holiday classics as well as an original tune ‘One For You, One For Me!’”
The label previously released ‘Jingle Bells’ featuring Henry Rollins, but without a music video. Here is the album’s full track listing:
- Jingle Bells Feat. Henry Rollins
- Blue Christmas Feat. Brad Paisley
- Little Drummer Boy Feat. Joe Louis Walker
- Winter Wonderland Feat. Todd Rundgren & Artimus Pyle
- Twas the Night Before Christmas Feat. Mel Collins
- Run Rudolph Run Feat. Elliot Easton
- O Come, O Come Emmanuel Feat. Rick Wakeman
- Silver Bells Feat. Ian Anderson
- One for You, One for Me
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Feat. Billy Gibbons
- Silent Night Feat. Iggy Pop
- White Christmas Feat. Judy Collins
- Feliz Navidad Feat. Dani Bender
- BONUS TRACK: Jingle Bells feat. Henry Rollins (Punk Rock Version)
Shatner has admitted to not being a great vocalist, but if you can appreciate camp and absurdity, this could make a fun addition to your Christmas carol rotation.