We already know that The Nerdist’s Jonah Ray will be the new host/indentured slave for the new ‘Mystery Science Theater 3000’, with nerd favorite Felicia Dayas the new Mad, Kinga Forrester (daughter of original Mad Doctor Clayton Forrester played by Trace Beaulieu) and Patton Oswalt as TV’s Son of TV’s Frank (with TV’s Frank originally played by Frank Conniff). And while the robot sidekicks Tom Servo and Crow T. Robot will remain, their voices will be provided by Baron Vaughn (Tom) and Hampton Yount (Crow).
The new reboot has passed $4.4MM, 81% of its goal, meaning that at least nine new episodes are guaranteed. (The hope is that the Kickstarter campaign will reach $5.5MM in order to produce 12 episodes. If you’d like to help creator Joel Hodgson reach that goal, click here.)
Now, in addition to Hodgson, who created the original series, the new incarnation has announced an all-star roster of writers.
- Ernest Cline is the celebrated author of best-sellers ‘Ready Player One’ and ‘Armada’. Cline also co-wrote the screenplay for ‘Ready Player One’ which is currently being adapted by Steven Spielberg and for ‘Armada’, the rights to which had been sold to Universal. Cline also wrote the screenplay to the film ‘Fanboys’.
- Dan Harmon created the sitcom ‘Community’ and co-created the Adult Swim series ‘Rick and Morty’ with Justin Roiland, who is also serving as a guest writer.
- Rob Schrab co-wrote the movie ‘Monster House’ with Harmon and has worked on series including ‘Community’, ‘Parks and Recreation’ and ‘The Mindy Project’ and is slated to direct ‘The LEGO Movie Sequel’.
- Nell Scovell blogs for Vanity Fair and is a current writer for ‘The Muppets’. She has also written for ‘Warehouse 13’, ‘Sabrina the Teenage Witch’, ‘The Simpsons’ and ‘Space Ghost Coast To Coast’.
- Pat Rothfuss is an award-winning fantasy author best known for his ‘Kingkiller Chronicles’ novels.
- Dana Gould is an accomplished stand up comedian who has been featured in several television specials and has worked as a writer/producer on ‘The Simpsons’ and ‘Parks and Recreation’ among other projects.
- Musical comedy duo Paul & Storm have previously appeared on Felicia Day’s ‘Geek & Sundry’ YouTube channel as well as Wil Wheaton’s. They created the WookieLeaks internet meme and the #kanyenewyorkertweets hashtag which linked New Yorker cartoons with Kanye West tweets.
- Robert Lopez is a famed songwriter who co-wrote most of the songs from ‘Frozen’, so… y’know he’s richer than everyone else mentioned combined.
In addition, composer Charlie Erickson, prop designer Beez McKeever, makeup artist Crist Ballas and writer Paul “Pitch” Chaplin all worked on the original version of ‘MST3K’ and will be returning for the new incarnation.
Things are certainly coming together! Hopefully, enough fans will chip in and Hodgeson and company will reach their total goal to create a full season of new installments.
What do you think so far? Is ‘MST3K’ in good hands?